16th Annual Montana Audubon festival
June 5 - 7, 2015 ---
Our 2015 Bird Festival is coming to Helena! This year our festival is co-hosted by Montana Audubon and the Last Chance Audubon Society.
Scott Weidensaul is our Keynote Speaker!
The Helena-based local chapter, Last Chance Audubon Society, has been busy planning a spectacular event for June 2015! Janice Miller and Jo Lace, the LCAS festival co-chairs, have surprises lined up for all attendees and we certainly hope you're planning to join us. Our visits to the Red Lion Colonial Inn have resulted in securing wonderful space for our meetings, meals and speaker events. The open space and easy access to major roads will enhance our festival and field trip experiences. The LCAS Chapter has hinted at fabulous birding tours—possibly river floats, as well as non-birding trips such as a historical tour of Helena and a trip to a local arts center. Each month we will continue to feature developing news on the 2015 Bird Festival. Stay tuned as next month we'll tantalize you with a glimpse of some birding field trip destinations! For more information contact Montana Audubon's Bird Festival Coordinator, Cathie Erickson: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please feel free to call the Montana Audubon office at 406.443.3949 with any questions.
Here's a little flavor of our past festivals:
2014 Festival in Bozeman
Fantastic! Our largest festival ever. Thanks to Sacajawea Audubon for partnering with us. And to John Marzluff for his keynote talk on the fascinating world of intelligent crows.
We presented four Annual Awards in 2014:
- Jack Kirkley ~ Lifetime Achievement Award
- Paulette Epple ~ Conservationist of the Year
- Carol Ward ~ Educator of the Year
- Kate Stone ~ Citizen Scientist of the Year
back to top
2013 Festival in Lewistown
We thank everyone who contributed time, energy, and expertise to make Montana Audubon’s 2013 Wings Across the Big Sky Festival a success! Special thanks go out to Beverly Skinner, our star local coordinator, the Lewistown community who rallied to accommodate over 225 attendees, and to those who donated terrific raffle prizes, silent auction items, and custom tours. Many thanks to the incredible young artists from the Lewistown schools whose original artwork was used in our festival materials.
We presented four Annual Awards in 2013:
- Kristi DuBois ~ Conservationist of the Year
- Heather Bilden ~ Educator of the Year
- Dan Sullivan ~ Citizen Scientist of the Year
- Bob and Beverly Skinner - Special Achievement Award
back to top
2012 Festival in Kalispell
Thanks to Flathead Audubon for co-hosting!
> Memorable photos from the festival here. Slideshow option here.
> Master Bird Species List - all the birds seen on field trips! As pdf. As excel spreadsheet.
> We presented four Annual Awards in 2012:
- Bob Lopp ~ Lifetime Achievement Award
- Linda Winnie ~ Conservationist of the Year
- Ashley Mason ~ Educator of the Year
- John Parker ~ Citizen Scientist of the Year
2011 Festival in Glasgow
What a blast - over 200 people form all over the state (and beyond) joined us in Glasgow. Highlights included: highly educational pre-festival workshops about grassland and sagebrush conservation, a great variety of field trip, and Inspiring Keynote address by Gary Ferguson.
At our 2011 festival we presented four Annual Awards:
- Ron Farmer ~ Lifetime Achievement Award
- Steve Hoffman~ Conservationist of the Year
- Carla Wambach ~ Educator of the Year
- Catherine Wightman ~ Special Achievement Award
Check out a bird list for the entire festival: view in excel or pdf. Thanks Woody!
Back to top
2010 festival in Missoula
Montana Audubon and the Five Valleys and Bitterroot Audubon Chapters, together with birders from across the state, came together for our 2010 annual festival.
Thank you for coming and thanks to all our volunteers! Thanks also to our major sponsors: Bureau of Land Management; Friends of Lee Metcalf; GlaxoSmithKline; Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks; Montana Natural History Center; & U.S. Forest Service
AWARDS: At our 2010 festival we presented four awards:
- Jim Brown ~ Lifetime Achievement Award
- Dr. Steve Running~ Conservationist of the Year
- Sue Reel & Dick Hutto ~ Educators of the Year
- The Bitterroot Audubon IBA Committee ~ Special Achievement Award
2009 festival in great falls
Montana Audubon and the Upper Missouri Breaks Audubon Chapter, together with birdersfrom across the state, came together for our 2009 annual festival in Great Falls. AWARDS: At our annual 2009 festival we presented four awards:
- George Engler ~ Lifetime Achievement Award
- McKenzie Graye ~ Conservationist of the Year
- Lisa Flowers ~ Educator of the Year
- Richard Mousel ~ Special Achievement Award
FIELD TRIPS were varied and plentiful, and though the rain may have dampened our opportunities to see birds, it didn't dampen our spirits. And all together we identified over 180 species!
The simple field trip bird list is available HERE.
You may be interested
in the details: which birds we saw on which field trip. If so you can download the spreadsheet version or the in-depth pdf version.
back to top